3DO Retailer Demos

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

3DO Retailer Demos

Post by ILUV3DO » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:40 am

Hey all,

I have a question, maybe one of you experts could answer. I just bought another 3DO FZ-10 off of Ebay. The seller listed the unit as being in awesome condition (of course) and when I received it, the system was in pretty clean shape.... except one thing. It looked like two screws were missing from the right panel (the side with the expansion port) and when I flipped it over I noticed some of the screws underneath were a bit loose. The top of the housing was a little loose on the right side but after tightening the screws underneath, the housing was solid. Now here is the problem, the FMV sequences in several games seem a little choppier than when the games are played on my other 3DO systems. Further, I have a couple retailer demos of games like Super Wing Commander and Shockwave. These demos always worked fine on my other 3DO's but they freeze up on this system during FMV sequences. (The discs are in pristine condition.) Shockwave specifically freezes when I die and the video is playing of the doctor arguing with the commander about patching me up. My question is, have you guys heard that the retailer demos are more prone to locking up or freezing the system than other games? It was my understanding that these demos were full games provided to the retailers to demo their systems in kiosks. When I contacted the seller about the issue he said that he had only taken the system apart once for 'routine maintenance' whatever that means. Have I been had? Do you think there is an issue with the laser/lens? Or have you heard of these games being problematic? Let me know.

Thanks guys and girls,

ILUV3DO

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:21 am

Sounds like the laser is going. Which is a very common problem with the systems. The lasers werent of the greatest quality to begin with. If you are having problem with original discs and not CDRs, the laser is really bad on that one. Usualy CDRs are harder to read on the console when the laser is sub-par while originals will be fine. You could try opening it up and using some alcohol and a q-tip to clean the lens. It's a worth a shot. Slight warning though. If its anything like the FZ-1, it will be a lot of screws.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 am

Is it really all that common of a problem? If so, I'm fortunate ... my unit seems to be built like an iron lung!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:54 pm

All of mine are fine, even the crappy GoldStar.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:04 pm

All of mine are fine, even the crappy GoldStar
Well one of my Goldstars is sitting at a repairer right now GRRRRRRRR!

One is in good condition and the other well.... I am still negotiating its delivery with the seller. Its a very unusual item - it is an ex store display model that the shop had a wooden custom cabinet made for including CRT TV. It appears to be a beautiful cabinet and it is a genuine Australian release model ! Its just going to be an expensive delivery.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Trev wrote:Is it really all that common of a problem? If so, I'm fortunate ... my unit seems to be built like an iron lung!
It's a common complaint in certain circles...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:14 pm

mattyg wrote:
All of mine are fine, even the crappy GoldStar
Well one of my Goldstars is sitting at a repairer right now GRRRRRRRR!

One is in good condition and the other well.... I am still negotiating its delivery with the seller. Its a very unusual item - it is an ex store display model that the shop had a wooden custom cabinet made for including CRT TV. It appears to be a beautiful cabinet and it is a genuine Australian release model ! Its just going to be an expensive delivery.
Wow - dude. This sounds awesome. We will of cause be demanding imagery of this marvel. Quickly now.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 pm

Here at least is the listing photo :

[img][img]http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt75 ... KG5Oj2.jpg[/img][/img]
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ILUV3DO » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:36 am

Holy Cow! Weird... and COOL!!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:43 pm

i broke out the ol' girl a few days ago and was pretty annoyed when the FMV sequences looked choppy.
noticed the scratched CDs, burned some ISOs, and my baby was like new again.

doesn't help the OP but at least my baby is still going strong. :)