Space Hulk HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Space Hulk HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:45 am

I thought this game was absolutely brilliant the first time I played it on the 3DO. Now that I own a complete copy of the game I tossed aside my CD-R and went to go re-experience it.

Y'see, I'm the type of gamer who feels bad when my fellow comrades in arms die on me. At times, I tend to restart levels when I think to myself that perhaps I could have saved more people.

That's what I did in Space Hulk. I'm a lot better in the game than I originally was. It took me 3 hours to beat the first level in campaign mode because I had no clue how hand to hand combat worked.

This time, it was a cinch.

First level was easy, no problems. 2nd level, 1 terminator died. I restarted it and had everyone live. 3rd level, the head honcho sends in another squad and all 10 of the terminators lived.

4th level was tricky. I spent an hour replaying it over and over again but at the best only 7 terminators lived.

Which was a total waste of time. The next level was agonizing. 3 terminators have to go pick up explosives and set them down. I had way too many terminators alive. I was ordered to pick up one of the explosives along with 2 other guys. 1 of them along with me set them down perfectly. Then the idiot who was giving orders told us to go and protect Gideon. Gideon had the last batch of explosives unfortunately he was all the way in the end behind everybody.

So these 6 imbeciles were ramming into each other in a narrow corridor due to conflicting orders. Idiocy.

"LUCIUS, GET OUT OF MY WAY!'

For about 10 minutes they were doing this. I decided to screw around and take my explosives and plant them in Gideon's location hoping this would override his orders and he'd receive new ones. Eventually the space marines somehow got out of the corridor. Gideon went to plant the explosives but seeing as how they were already planted in his area, he just went to the room at the end of the level carrying the last set of explosives.

The level would not end. I killed myself on purpose.

Tried replaying it. This time Octavius was murdered while carrying explosives which caused a massive explosion that killed all of us.

Probably on my 4th or 5th try everything went as planned. 2 out of 7 died but I couldn't care less anymore. Next level had us remaining 5 go turn off the gas valves. One of them died but I was too pissed from their previous idiocy to care.

I still think it's a brilliant game. The AI is only being stupid due to the automated order system.

But all my previous caring for my fellow comrades was for naught. I completely forgot that after this level you get promoted and get completely new squad mates!!!

URGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well anyways, I could never get past this level no matter how hard I tried.

This is the one with the Chaos Space Marines. My squad and I have to run around looking for 3 Imperial relics.

Any tips on how to fight these guys or how to beat this level in general? They do tons of damage with their guns, but thankfully this game has a rechargeable health system that Halo stole (originality my ass). Doors close behind you and get locked. You can't open them from your side but your squadmates can open it from their side.

Those damn Chaos Space Marines have way too much health and I find it impossible to take them on 1 vs 1. I need either 3 of my men shooting at the same bastard or run away when my health gets low and wait for it to recharge.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 am

I can't really offer any help other than this game is all about strategy. Plan an assault and back-up plans when things get ugly. My strategies against Chaos Space Marines was always avoid them when you can and keep my Marines in groups for when you have to fight them.

Clear your objective ASAP! Yes the AI can be incredibly stupid at times but the retreat function is great even when you aren't running away. Always tell your Marines to move with haste.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:30 am

I still can't beat it no matter how hard I try :(

The mission name is Plunder. Those Chaos Space Marines are absolutely terrifying! Meanwhile their Dawn of War counterparts look like clowns.

I'll keep trying but it's hard to concentrate since it's the first mission in the campaign where you give instead of receiving orders, the radar is jammed, the beeping noise is freaking me out especially when I can't see the enemy on the radar, and those Chaos Space Marines are hard as hell.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:11 pm

OOOOOHhhhhhh. Actually this level isn't that bad, it's just frightening at first.

I'm working on a project so here is an excerpt:

Destroy all doors that are visible. Most of the doors in this scenario seem to be one way. Destroying them keeps the path to friendly fire support open. Note that the white doors cannot be destroyed in this scenario.
Take control of the central horizontal two-wide corridor, with two troops in each direction. This prevents the Chaos marines from surprising the squad. A Chaos marine is about as powerful as one of your marines. Never station your troops alone. The chance of survival would be 50%.

Close the white doors. This keeps new Chaos marines from getting past. Use your character to do this. Retreat to an area with friendly support when a Chaos marine gets near. Note that if one of the sealed doors is open, the Chaos marines will always come to it. By positioning a marine at this location, it is easy to rack up the kills and experience. There is no time limit and experience helps in hand to hand combat.

Working one white door at a time, open it and destroy all the doors near that white door. Retreat to the white door when the enemy is heard nearby and use open-fire-close-heal tactics.

After doing completing the white door tasks, take control of the two large rooms past the two middle white doors, assigning two marines to a room.

Use standard tactics to get into the room next to the Chaos marine generators at the top of the map (red arrows), where the third relic is found. There are two enemy entry points in that room. Place two marines facing the entry-points, and no Chaos Marine will enter the room alive.

The first and second relics are on your side of the white doors. To retrieve them, move two marines in to cover the generators. Then, move your character in to pick up the relic. Relic positions appear to be fixed and not randomly placed with each game. Note that a relic is visible only when a marine is next to it. Once the marine moves away, the yellow blip disappears.

To get to the first relic (R), start at the first room, walk down the corridor until your character gets to the next room. Take the first right turn until your character enters a square room (also the next room). Take a left until your character gets to an intersection like this:
The second relic is in a room to the upper right portion of the map. This is the room just before the rightmost bulkhead (white door). Follow the large, central, double wide corridor as far right as it allows. Turn left and enter the door into the relic room where the relic is in the upper right corner.

After retrieving the relics, retreat and close the white doors behind your character. The message "not enough power gloves" will appear if the squad does not have enough terminators to retrieve all three relics. Each relic must be held by a marine when the mission is exited.

This is a map from Kid's scans, you can click on it to go to the full size image.

If these don't help you the only thing I could do is record myself playing and let you copy what I did... not gonna do that but if you still can't get past it PM me.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:13 pm

I DID IT!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
-Vladimir Lenin

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:18 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! You'll get used to it. Then the levels get bigger, the game gets harder but you get better. Play it in the dark, I get scared but it's lots of fun when I do!