3DO Kid Could You Do Me a Favour?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

3DO Kid Could You Do Me a Favour?

Post by jesus 666 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:57 am

Could you go on to a cross section of maybe 4-5 of your Youtube videos and go onto the [Insight] > [Popularity] > [Max] and tell me what the most 3DO loving countries are please? just something I've been wondering about :)
Juffo-Wup is the hot light in the darkness

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 pm

WOW!

1 Japan
2 United States
3 United Kingdom
4 Malaysia
5 Canada
6 Brazil
7 Russia
8 Germany
9 Thailand
10 France

I would have guessed America, German, UK, maybe France, even less maybe Canada but not in that order - and I would have never have guessed Japan at number 1 or Malaysia and Thailand at number 4 and 9. I might have been lucky with Brazil.

I definately would have thought USA was number one. Definately.

Thanks for this by the way (Didn't know I could do this :) )

It might be scewed by Ultraman video which has had 25,000 hits since it was posted.

Weirdly my top 30 - 21 has about 25,000 too
:shock:

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Cool thanks dude, is this list always the same for each specific video you've made? some of your video's may appeal to different demographics, I'd imagine that the "top 50 3DO games" video's insight's would be best as a fair blanket for finding 3DO interest.

I've found this section of Youtube quite interesting as I've made loads of "100 games in 10 minutes" clipshows and they give me some useful info. Before I noticed the insight section I found it strange that virtually everyone I spoke to online about the C64 that was American had never played one before whilst virtually everyone had owned a NES. Everytime someone would start talking about the C64 to me it would turn out that they were from the UK or Australian. Then when I actually had the chance to check the insight I found a massive amount of interest from the UK, more than anywhere else in the world, with Australia, Germany and Sweden following, the US was in like 7th odd.

Seems the C64 was really big in America from the early 80s but massively declined in popularity by around 84-85, most Americans don't seem to associate it with games even, whereas over here as you probably know the C64 was like a gaming monster with the Speccy even until around 91'.
Juffo-Wup is the hot light in the darkness

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:46 pm

jesus 666 wrote: Seems the C64 was really big in America from the early 80s but massively declined in popularity by around 84-85, most Americans don't seem to associate it with games even, whereas over here as you probably know the C64 was like a gaming monster with the Speccy even until around 91'.
right around 84 is when it seemed all my friends had a C64. me i only played one game a few times on it in my whole life, it was some hockey game where you could trade players and coach

while collecting ive ran across tons of the systems for sale and passed on them all just because of the floppy disks. i never wanted to spend the time with those things and is probably why my 2 classic computers have a cart slot (Atari 800xl + TI 99/4a) :D

the first 10 years of my gaming life i only had 2 systems the Atari 2600 and a Roberts sportrama 8 pong system
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 pm

It's interesting. In the UK like Jesus666 said, the Sinclair Spectrum, BBC, BBC Electron, C64, to some degree Atari800XL, Dragon, and so on, all ruled. The NES and Master System had very little influence. From what I saw.

The feeling was that the Americans played NES, and the Europeans played computers.

Then in the late 80s there was the Amiga and Atari ST in the UK. The ST ruled at first but the Amiga was the better machine. And it came to dominate. By this point some people my age were talking about the Sega Mega Drive. By about '92 - '93 the SNES was here but the Amiga and ST were in their golden years. I was around 19 years old, the feeling was kids played Nintendo and Sega. Mature gamers played PC/Amiga.

I saw a SNES running for the first time when I was at Uni. (1992?) A mate of mine made money importing and selling the FDD systems for the SNES and we used to eat pizza and play SF2.

But I wasn't impressed.

The SNES and MD for all there hype seemed to me like old technology (this was '92 - '93) and I guess they were. The PC was promising. 7th Guest looked kind of cool, so did Alone in the Dark, but PC's were kind of expensive and the Amiga was beginning to look a bit dated too. The Amiga didn't really do 'cool' 3D either.

The arcades had Daytona, Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer and this stuff, too my eyes, looked like the future.

...then I saw an advert in Edge magazine for Shockwave something called 3DO. :)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 pm

3DOKid wrote:The arcades had Daytona, Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer and this stuff, too my eyes, looked like the future.
while those were the future around that time, i was looking for the
Donkey Kong/Robotron/Defender/Popeye/Kickman machines to put my money into :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:43 am

Malaysia? No way!
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Its also an indication of the diversity here in Australia - I shared a house with 3 computer students in the early nineties - one guy had an Amiga , one an Apple and the other an IBM set up.The mix of European/US was pretty even here.In some ways I'm surprised Australia didn't make the cut on the list as I believe there were more 3DO's sold/imported here than is usually assumed.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG