CD Burning FAQ

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

CD Burning FAQ

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:41 pm

C'mon, everyone chip in with their 3DO Burning facts. I'll start. All CD burning questions should be in here :)

Q: Will the Panasonic FZ1 / FZ10 read CDRs?
A: Yep.

Q: what about Goldstar, ROBO, Sanyo units?
A: Yep.

Q: Should I use cheap and nasty CDs and a cheap and nasty CD burner?
A: No. You pay for what you get in this life and the more you spend on CD Burners and CDRs the less hassle you will have burning 3DO CDs.

Q: Can I use CDRWs?
A: Not really, it is possible by tweaking the 3DO hardware but surely using a CDR is easier?

Q: I heard a rumour that 3DO discs need burning at slower speeds (1x, 2x) is this true?
A. Not true. I have a Sony CD writer and use good quality TDK discs and I burn them quite happily at 50X speed and they work first time everytime. Burning slower mayhelp if you use cheap equipement but don't count on it.

Q: I followed your advice but my 3DO still won't read the discs I burn.
A: Firstly it could be dirt. Personally, I have never cleaned a lens on any system I have and had that help a problem I had. Delicately cleaning the lens may work for you but don't count on it. Secondly, the disc maybe dirty, give it a wipe. Thirdly, your 3DO lens is going the way of all life and is dying - consider getting a new one.

Q: Can I get 3DO lens replacements?
A: ...
A2: Might be easier to get another 3DO unit from eBay.

Q: What burning software do you recommend?
A: Google for these:
- Burn4free
- Imgburn
- Alchol120%
- Nero
(try here: www.filehippo.com)

Q: Does it matter I have Bin/Cue, IMG, file and not an ISO?
A: Not really - no.

Q: I downloaded a bunch of RAR files, how do i burn these?
A: Use google.

Q: How do I make a 3DO Disc image?
A: UltraISO is my favourite way, there maybe others.

Q: How do i rip a 3DO disc so I can view the files on my PC?
A: unCDROM (link to follow)

Q: How do i view the files I extracted?
A: 3doexplorer (link to follow)

Q: What tools do I use to extract 3DO music?
A: ...

keropi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by keropi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:14 pm

I have a a JAP FZ-1 . I use Verbatim CD's and burn at 8x (lowest my burners allow). I also burn with imgburn. I tried burning some US TOSEC images. I made lots of coasters.
great fun! nothing runs!

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 pm

If you are burning at 50x and they are reading in your 3do, it has nothing to do with with your burner being good. You are just blessed with a 3do that has a great condition cd drive. I guarantee you that lower speed burns are easier to read in the drives though, and will probably lenghten the life of your drive too. I also have a sony burner but my 3do will not read fast speed burns no matter what media i use.

CDRs make the reader work harder and will shorten the life of the drive which already has a pretty high faliure rate. Want your 3do to last longer? Play Original Discs. Play copies in FreeDO.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:13 am

Verbatim is crap. Use Fuji or Sony, and they won't strain your system as much.
I downloaded a bunch of RAR files, how do i burn these?
BRUUUHHHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

keropi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by keropi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:37 am

3DO Experience wrote:Verbatim is crap. Use Fuji or Sony, and they won't strain your system as much.
really??? :shock: Verbatim was always a good choise, not to mention their DL media are the only ones that work 100% with a certain current-gen console... I will follow your advice and try either Fuji or Sony thanks!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:46 am

BryWI wrote:If you are burning at 50x and they are reading in your 3do, it has nothing to do with with your burner being good. You are just blessed with a 3do that has a great condition cd drive. I guarantee you that lower speed burns are easier to read in the drives though, and will probably lenghten the life of your drive too. I also have a sony burner but my 3do will not read fast speed burns no matter what media i use.

CDRs make the reader work harder and will shorten the life of the drive which already has a pretty high faliure rate. Want your 3do to last longer? Play Original Discs. Play copies in FreeDO.
Hmm. In my very basic tests I did burn at full speed in a LG CD Writer, a Sony CD writer and an IBM (levono) CD Writer the ones burnt at 50x on the LG just refused to work. The other two were fine. The LG is a little older but it was replaced by the Sony soon after and the Sony is the one I use every day (burning) for work and hardly ever used. If ever - because I hate it.

I'm not agruing, because to be honest I don't know anything more than the absolute basics, I just figured Sony/Lenovo used quality components and LG didn't.

What I think I will do is adjust the FAQ to reflect what you said all the same :)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:12 am

ive found Maxell CDRs the worst
ive had about 40+ maxell cdrs not burn right, or not read as little as 2 years later. maybe it had to do with buring maxells on a memorex cdr burner :D
all my verbatim/imation/memorex cdrs are still going so far

ive burned a 3do cdr at 48x once but that was an accident, it works just fine. normally i burn at the slowest speed, just because thats what ive read EVERYWHERE!
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 pm

keropi wrote:really??? :shock: Verbatim was always a good choise, not to mention their DL media are the only ones that work 100% with a certain current-gen console... I will follow your advice and try either Fuji or Sony thanks!
I've used them for years and what I've found out is that after a few years the discs have nearly a 100% fail rate. They just die over time. I used to use Memorex and they last longer but still die. :( My Fuji's and the few Sonys I've made stand the test of time. Plus I have issues with Verbatim burning in my Samsung external burner, it doesn't even see a blank disc. :cry:

Superhero360
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Superhero360 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Hello,

I have two 3DOs. My beloved Panasonic FZ-1 (NTSC US) and a Goldstar (PAL). I backed up my games now and burnt one game on a CD-R.
It was working fine on my FZ-1 but the Goldstar spit the CD-R out.
I tried it again with a different brand of CD-R but same result. Goldstar doesn't like it :(
I used a Verbatim and an Imation CD-R burnt at 4x (my burner doesn't go any slower).
Strange isn't it? Because my original games do play on the Goldstar.
Do you guys think that it could be dirt?

I hardly used my Goldstar, it's practically new. It was just standing unused for many years in my room. It did have some reset issues after I put it back in use yesterday and played PO'ED on it which used to work fine when I got it 15 years ago. But after a few resets the game works now too.
So, dirt on the lens or different CD-R? Any thoughts?

My Goldstar is different to the ones I saw e.g. on YouTube. It has it's CD drive mechanism inside the 3DO, so you put the CD the drawer like you would on the FZ-1. The Goldstars I saw so far online have a CD spindle on the drawer itself.

Is it really for certain that all 3DOs can read CD-Rs? My Goldstar spits the CD-R out as if it would know it's not an original CD hmm.
Just played Blade Force (original CD) for over 45 minutes without any hang ups...

cu
Superhero360

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:34 pm

My Goldstar takes in the CD-R and thinks about reading it, checking it over and over for about a good 25 seconds. Sometimes it spits it or just sits at the launch screen. I bought it new in box in 2000, Fifa-Shockwave bundle, I wish I had my original FZ-10! I haven't played the crap out of it. I've even burnt them at the slowest speed. The cds are "good" burns as they work with Freedo. I think that the "Lucky Goldstar" lasers are just weak.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:17 am

Nice pic. GoldStar and Sanyo units can be very picky. I can burn a disc and have it work on both Pana's but not those two, and sometimes I can get it to load after a few tries on the GS and never on the Sanyo.

Superhero360
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Superhero360 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:43 pm

My Goldstar is just staying picky no matter what I do. Mine is the PAL model from the Fifa Soccer bundle which I bought in Germany.
Like I described earlier, I saw pictures and videos online of a Goldstar with the drive being inside the "drawer-slide". That version also has S-VHS which my Goldstar doesn't have. I remember I read about them removing the S-VHS connection to make the unit cheaper to make.
I wonder if they also made changes to the CD-drive being on purpose even more picky on CD-Rs.
Which Goldstar do you guys have?

I found two pictures:

The first version I beieve which should also feature S-VHS. Notice the CD is on a spindle on the slide.

The version I own.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:31 am

I have version 1. It sucks at reading the burned discs.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:06 am

I just burn at the slowest setting possible I think 4x or 8x, usually I use TDK because they are cheap and plentiful. Works every time on my FZ-1. cheers mates