Dragon Lore - AHHHHHH!!!!!

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Dragon Lore - AHHHHHH!!!!!

Post by Lemmi » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:26 pm

ok after all the talk about finishing 3do games i decided to try and finish Dragon Lore, im at the start of disc 3 and i gave up last time after the stupid skeleton kept killing me in the first room of the castle.

so after a few years of role playing games i think ive become alittle wiser, before i used the little damage output war hammer everywhere i went. so now i looked though my bag of goodies and found a sword called Kuru's sword i figured it must be better then the hammer and i go back in to fight the skeleton and i won WOO HOO with only one hit against me

ok now i go though the castle and try and figure out the TON of clues there are, and i fight one more guy in a torture chamber

cut to 8 hours later and after i saved it only once in those 8 hours :x
i get to this thing called a fire phoenix, and i need to start a fire with my sulfur and flint with a stick thats in a fire place, now my inventory is full so i have to drop a few things to get the flint out of the bag and doing so i was just about to make the fire when the 3DO restarted itself :x :x :x :x

i just gave up after that and went to bed, now i have to go thought getting the egg for the trapped dragon hatch it for him then i have to find the 4 metal balls again plus a bunch of other things

this time i am gonna save it alot more often :D

i kept saying to myself ill save it after this one task and then again after the next task and so on and so on. then the system fucked me :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm

God that sucks!! Did you at least throw the control pad across the room or through the window?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:39 am

bitrate wrote:God that sucks!! Did you at least throw the control pad across the room or through the window?
nah, i havent thrown a controller since the NES days and when i did i broke the circut board inside it in half :)

well ive beaten the game finally, it was pretty easy to get to the part in the game where the system restarted, it only took about 30min as i already knew what i had to do, and it took about 3 more hours to finish the game, i was already close to the end of the game, but i kept teleporting to the wrong areas of the game :D

i took a video of the last part of the game where i free my dragon and put a saddle on it and fly to the dolmens for the vote, and after that you fly around the places you've been then it ends with the credits

to think i started playing this game in 1998 and my original saves were still in the memory :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:23 am

to think i started playing this game in 1998 and my original saves were still in the memory
Has anyone here ever dealt w/their 3DO memory stopping? (No more saves, files erasing, etc...) I've been pleased that all my old saves have remained intact too. :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:18 pm

I've heard that the NVRAM can give up - but I've never seen it.

On the subject of Dragons Lore - I had scanned my Dragons Lore box into Paintshop on Saturday and was repairing it, and I had bought some card and was going to print myself a new box - when Paintshop crashed - losing my hours of painstaking effort. :cry:

Dragons Lore is pretty slow going and always reminded me of Mel Gibson and Sean Connery.

So tell me Lemmi, 'cos I'm pretty sceptical about DL, is it worth the effort?

3DO Kid.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:25 pm

3DOKid wrote:I've heard that the NVRAM can give up - but I've never seen it.
On the subject of Dragons Lore - I had scanned my Dragons Lore box into Paintshop on Saturday and was repairing it, and I had bought some card and was going to print myself a new box - when Paintshop crashed - losing my hours of painstaking effort. :cry:

Dragons Lore is pretty slow going
So tell me Lemmi, 'cos I'm pretty sceptical about DL, is it worth the effort?

3DO Kid.
oh man that sucks about the paintshop

heh i think my 3do didnt know what to do after being on for 8+ hours in a row, its been a long time since ive played any game for that long in one sitting on it

it is a very slow game, and its very hard to decide what to pick up and what to leave on the ground (i found a central place that i knew i could get to easily and dropped a bunch of items and if i needed something i would go back and pick it up, especially in the castle) weapons arent a big factor you only need 2 though the whole game (if you go the way of wisdom) if you got the morning star, and then Kuru's sword thats all you really need and i cant even remember how i got Kuru's sword :D

EDIT -- also use your saves wisely and always SAVE before you try something that might get you killed, i dont know how many times the damn man eatting plant killed me

i wish they had ratings of the weapons in the manual so you know which ones to keep

its only worth it if you started it and got to CD #2 and quit for awhile, and want to know how it ends. you could always try the first CD and see if you like it. i didnt think i would like it but i did. i only wanted to see the voting at the end and i thought i would never get there. i wish i could have fought the dude that killed my father tho, but some bitch stepped in and banished him

if you wanted to play it just remember it will take you quite awhile to finish this game, and when you get to the castle its a nightmare with the millions of rooms and some look alike i was going in circles alot of the time, but the upside is you can drop the game for 5+ years you can pick it up and play like you havent stopped, all i needed was to read the manual to refresh my memory on the controls

its probably a 50 hour game minimum

is there a part 2 to this game? on the PC maybe? its hinted at the end that the story continues in part 2

im thinking of playing again and try killing everything in my path except for the bad guys that voted against me :)

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:32 am

Lemmi wrote: EDIT -- also use your saves wisely and always SAVE before you try something that might get you killed, i dont know how many times the damn man eatting plant killed me

Ha! So true! I played this game through back around '96 and though I don't remember too much of it, I definitely remember a god damn plant (I think in the water) that killed me over and over :evil:

I also remember having to repair a key in the castle or some such thing.
I forget which path I chose... but I'm guessing that I hacked away at everything that moved. And yeah, it sucked that I didn't get a chance to split that evil guys head open who killed my father.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:01 am

bitrate wrote: Ha! So true! I played this game through back around '96 and though I don't remember too much of it, I definitely remember a god damn plant (I think in the water) that killed me over and over :evil:

I also remember having to repair a key in the castle or some such thing.
I forget which path I chose... but I'm guessing that I hacked away at everything that moved. And yeah, it sucked that I didn't get a chance to split that evil guys head open who killed my father.
heh the plant was guarding a passageway and you had to make a grapling hook with your rope and skull you found next to it to jump over the wall :)

the key was a nightmare so many little steps to repair it and i didnt find something to hit it with after i got it glowing red for quite awhile, i was trying to hit it with all the things i had in my sack :D

i read somewhere that if you hack at everything you can only win the votes at the end by killing a few of the good dragon knights :D

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:09 am

hahaha i just found this while looking if there was a sequel

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/dr ... index.html

and this

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/i ... eviews/23/

looks like it falls short again, from what i read it seems like part 2 isnt an improvment at all but the opposite, they made it harder much harder

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:49 am

I love how it says in your adventureclassicgaming link that "You now must go through further testing in order to be accepted by the elite of the land."

:evil: FURTHER TESTING ! :evil:

I can just imagine having spent the 40, 50, 60 hours required to gain the votes necessary to become a dragon knight in the first Dragon Lore only to come across this 2nd Dragon Lore that says, "no, no... that doesn't really count. Do it again." :shock:
I kind of liked Dragon Lore on the 3DO when I played it years ago, but if I had purchased this sequel to find out that my character, whom I had worked so diligently in order to gain induction into the Dragon Knighthood had been demoted in one fell swoop back to the ranks of tending after Daisy the cow (or whatever the hell animal it was in the beginning of the first Dragon Lore), I would have been a little pissed off. Unbelievable.

Oh yeah, and an extra helping of difficulty is just what Dragon Lore needed. :shock: