The Atari Jaguar.

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:35 am

ROFL Gunstar

Death scenes! I knew it took a spark to remind me what was wrong with the Jaguar copy. I actually wasn't gonna count any emulators Crimson, since it's actually pretty much the arcade hehe. As for scene sequencing you might be interested in knowing that depending on what board the machine had the scene sequence would actually differ. There are also different LaserDiscs too, and chipsets for running a "beta" version LD with different footage. Of course that is for the people who have LOTS of money to spend. Personally I prefer to rather spend it on my NEO-GEO arcade unit, lots of interchangeable titles. :)
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:09 am

3DO Experience wrote:ROFL Gunstar

Death scenes! I knew it took a spark to remind me what was wrong with the Jaguar copy. I actually wasn't gonna count any emulators Crimson, since it's actually pretty much the arcade hehe. As for scene sequencing you might be interested in knowing that depending on what board the machine had the scene sequence would actually differ. There are also different LaserDiscs too, and chipsets for running a "beta" version LD with different footage. Of course that is for the people who have LOTS of money to spend. Personally I prefer to rather spend it on my NEO-GEO arcade unit, lots of interchangeable titles. :)

I got an MVS cabinet too, theyre bad to the bone :)

Yeah, as you say, the sequencing changes based on rom sets/difficulty and the like and their are different LDs too, the very latest DVD/CD rom pack (anniversary) features that "different footage" you mention, as well as a load of behind the scenes stuff. Move times are spot on to the second as well and its all remastered.
A recommended buy for all!!!!! ;)

(Disclaimer: Dragons Lair is barely a game, playing it when untrained may cause the following symptons: confusion, pad bashing, disc flinging, anger, disgust and refundage. Know what your getting into, kids.)
"Didn' mean ta burst ya bubble"

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:59 pm

3DO Experience wrote:ROFL Gunstar

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. Though I'm taking your word for it. But I wasn't thinking about death scenes in my comments, I was only thinking about actual gameplay scenes, which are all there. The Jaguar game can be played, complete, as on the original arcade LD. One version anyway; I was never aware of multiple versions. I only ever played DL and SA at one location as a kid, it was called Showbiz Pizza, which was the regional/area name of the Chuck E. Cheese restuarants in the Chicago area. But I'm not sure about scene sequencing requiring a different board version either, I'll assume your right though. The Jaguar version changes sequences (IIRC) and mirrors (Positive) scenes just like the arcade version did. It's been a while since I played any version of the game, I guess I'll have to dust off my Jaguar copy and give it a go again; besides, I need to see it on my RGB monitior, should look a lot better on it. Space Ace, on the Jaguar sucks donkey balls though, unfortunately, and I'm not refering to bad FMV or missing scenes, it has all the gameplay scenes too, at least as far as I can tell, since it's damn difficult to finish. The problem with SA on the Jaugar is the control response is about a second off the footage, so it entirely by trial and error (a LOT of trial and error) to get it right. On the other hand, BrainDead 13, the computer/console only release (never was an arcade game) is fantastic on the Jaguar, even the FMV is top-notch. Though I will admit that the Jag version is the only version of BD13 I've ever played, so I can't say how it compares to the 3DO or any other version.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:17 pm

CrimsonGlory wrote:Yeah, as you say, the sequencing changes based on rom sets/difficulty and the like and their are different LDs too, the very latest DVD/CD rom pack (anniversary) features that "different footage" you mention, as well as a load of behind the scenes stuff. Move times are spot on to the second as well and its all remastered.
A recommended buy for all!!!!! ;)
SWEEEEET I'll have to get that for sure. Does it have both Original and Alternate versions on the disc?
CrimsonGlory wrote:(Disclaimer: Dragons Lair is barely a game, playing it when untrained may cause the following symptons: confusion, pad bashing, disc flinging, anger, disgust and refundage. Know what your getting into, kids.)
Pounding on the desk LMAO
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:30 pm

3DO Experience wrote: SWEEEEET I'll have to get that for sure. Does it have both Original and Alternate versions on the disc?
Its got all sorts, the pack is basically a remastered version of the game, with all the moves re checked and tightened up, plus all the arcades original dipswitch setting option for lives/difficulty/move beeps/intro sound/Home-Arcade-Unseen versions etc

The pack also contains re tightened versions of Space ace and DL 2, plus some news footage and making of clips from the 80s and a Don Bluth interview etc.

You can get it on ebay look for Dragons Lair "anniversary pack" or summat.
"Didn' mean ta burst ya bubble"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: The Atari Jaguar.

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:59 am

3DOKid wrote:I'm going to make a Jag sticky. Right now I'm sort of torn between a separate forum (Devin permitting of cause) or keeping Jag talk in here. Part of the fun is comparing the 3DO and Jaguar, and I doubt this forum will go much further than that. What do you think? Pretty much like what we did with the M2.

3DO kid.
Here is a thread worth bumping ...

I am just recently getting reacquainted with my Jaguar ... I'd forgotten about many of it's games I've enjoyed as it has not been hooked up for probably a little over 2 yrs!

Anyway, I would love to do more Jag talk! Forums like Atari Age & JS II have been around for years and are so crowded that I feel almost intimidated joining them (not really of course, but I'm at a loss for words ) I think the Atari community could easily support another Jag forum, especially w/it's healthy homebrew scene. And I bet I'm not the only one wishing he or she could join a forum on the ground level (kinda like I did w/this one) It would be great!

Would Devin permit a new forum? If not, what options are there? Is this even still an interest of yours 2 yrs later?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:48 am

Let's make a Jag sticky and see how it progresses. I appreciate it's not the same but...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Sounds good! :)