I remember Jaguar

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

I remember Jaguar

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:49 pm

This was anther doomed console from the 90's that I read about in magazines only this one went beyond that I never seen a 3DO in my entire life to this day, the only CD-i I ever came across was at a Shop Ko training orientation, and I only seen a Neo Geo in the arcades. BUT I was lucky enough to have a friend whose parents gamed in the 80's and remembered the glory years of Atari (mine too but they were poor) and so when next gen gaming came around they bought a jaguar instead of any number of other choices.

I will try not to step on toes but I like to be honest. And the truth was as much as I had fond memories of my old trusty still works to this day after almost 30 years 2600, I could not help but wonder what the hell was Atari thinking when they released that thing. I did play the few games my friend had and truth be told he gave it up and defected to Playstation a year latter (loser) but that first Christmas his whole family was all about Atari Jaguar. I can't say I never wanted one but I also can't say I ever went out of my way looking for one. More out of curiosity than anything but I have seen a few used consoles floating around from time to time just never got up enough interest to spend any cash on them.

So it seams to me that Jaguar has it's followers and I do respect that and it sorta makes me glad for Atari for putting in one last big effort before calling it quits. So although my personal memories are not that fond I can say Jaguar is respected by me and I hope it lives on forever for those who do enjoy it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: I remember Jaguar

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:47 pm

phatrat1982 wrote: I could not help but wonder what the hell was Atari thinking when they released that thing.
Many of us wondered that I'm sure. The management at Atari wasn't exactly at its peak at that time.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: I remember Jaguar

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:08 pm

phatrat1982 wrote:This was anther doomed console from the 90's that I read about in magazines only this one went beyond that I never seen a 3DO in my entire life to this day, the only CD-i I ever came across was at a Shop Ko training orientation, and I only seen a Neo Geo in the arcades. BUT I was lucky enough to have a friend whose parents gamed in the 80's and remembered the glory years of Atari (mine too but they were poor) and so when next gen gaming came around they bought a jaguar instead of any number of other choices.

I will try not to step on toes but I like to be honest. And the truth was as much as I had fond memories of my old trusty still works to this day after almost 30 years 2600, I could not help but wonder what the hell was Atari thinking when they released that thing. I did play the few games my friend had and truth be told he gave it up and defected to Playstation a year latter (loser) but that first Christmas his whole family was all about Atari Jaguar. I can't say I never wanted one but I also can't say I ever went out of my way looking for one. More out of curiosity than anything but I have seen a few used consoles floating around from time to time just never got up enough interest to spend any cash on them.

So it seams to me that Jaguar has it's followers and I do respect that and it sorta makes me glad for Atari for putting in one last big effort before calling it quits. So although my personal memories are not that fond I can say Jaguar is respected by me and I hope it lives on forever for those who do enjoy it.
If I start intelligence profiling members, what left-wing liberal group will get, or rather attack me? This guys Mother?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:39 am

phatrat1982 wrote: I could not help but wonder what the hell was Atari thinking when they released that thing.
Eh, it depends on how you look at it..

I always liked the Jaguar. When I was a kid and couldn't obtain one, it always seemed ominous and intriguing. It had a cool mold that was unique. The cartridge styling was cool. The controller was out of the ordinary. There were games that also looked interesting to me back then (DOOM, AvP, Wolfenstein, etc).

When it came to Atari's management of it, however... Well, let me simply go down the list: poor launch lineup, lack of quality third party support, terrible developer tools, a CD-ROM add-on introduced when the system needed more GOOD games, etc. etc. etc..

I don't feel the Jaguar itself was a mistake. On the contrary, actually.. I feel it was handled poorly once it became a reality. Generally the case with a lot of failed systems.
Last edited by Austin on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:40 am

keep in mind that was how I felt about the console back then, when I was 12, not how I feel about it know. Honestly now being such a huge nostalgia nut and a major Atari fan I think I would love to go back and revisit Jaguar now. Or sometime down the road.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:23 am

Public apology - maybe I jumped the gun on the insults. I just sometimes despair at people that come on to a themed Internet forum and attack the theme. Or indeed Youtube channel. But like I say, i think, in fact I know, I jumped he gun. Sorry. Please accept my apologies.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:10 pm

it is perfectly acceptable trust me I used to frequent a site devoted to 32X so I get it.