New Jaguar CD game up for order!

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Paranoia Dragon
3DO ZERO USER

New Jaguar CD game up for order!

Post by Paranoia Dragon » Tue May 31, 2011 6:54 am

http://songbird-productions.com/robreq.shtml

Robinson's Rectum is now up for order, & if you order by Friday June 3rd, it's $49.99, after that, it goes up to $59.99. Just thought I'd pass along the news :D

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue May 31, 2011 9:08 am

Well, if nothing else, I no longer get the nagging feeling that I've been price gouging.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue May 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks for the head's up!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue May 31, 2011 11:29 pm

I don't have a Jag CD but thought about buying this just to support the cause.. Anyone have any opinions on this game for the 3DO?

Regardless, it's cool it's being released. It was one of the handful of titles advertised on the back of the Jaguar CD system box..

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:46 am

I get the distinct smell of fish here.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:58 am

It's an ambitious but horrible micromanagement survival sim. The most... only fun to be had is seeing who can self-amputate the most limbs.

Also, Robinson's RECTUM? That ain't fish you're smelling...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:59 am

Rob Req, imho opinion, is a pretty cool game. That being said, its hard to give it a thumbs up due to the complex control, and sheer amount of content that feels overwhelming at times. The difficulty is also unforgiving , especially early on. Lots of inventory management, backtracking, voice acting from hell, etc... I actually have an old review of it here in my saved documents. I might try to clean it up & post it, but no promises on a time table.

The benefit of this Jag cd release is that it does make it more accesibe on a console since the 3DO version isn't really all that common. But I've no reason for a duplicate at a high price, especially since you can get it bundled w/its sequel at gog for $5.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:18 am

Austin, do yourself a big favor and find critical reviews. Universal low marks and talk about how abysmal the engine is. Everybody notes that the concept is cool, and it is, but that getting there by grafting a spreadsheet to a nigh unplayable FPS is not.

Make no mistake, put this on your shelf and all nearby games will be gone in the morning while this one sits there, fatter and emitting ethereal mist. You will feel bad for the fire you eventually use to destroy this game.

Paranoia Dragon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Paranoia Dragon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:12 am

I remember playing it eon's ago on 3DO, & don't recall liking it. But, I am buying it at least to support more homebrew games. I don't recall why I originally called it Robinson's Rectum 10+ years ago, but, I can guess it was cuz of my lack liking it. Hopefully their next Jag or Lynx game will come soon, & will be a more coveted game in general.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:05 pm

Oh, I'm glad we mentioned it.

The 3DO version is dull. Very frakin' dull. Nothing happens. Just endless boredom. It's like a slightly duller version of Myst but in 3D. With 2D trees, 1D characters, a 0D game play. After an hours play, you think either the 3DO has died, you've died, or every other frakker has. It's like a digital mortuary. An ocean of dull, enclaved by the mountains of grey, in a universe of ill fitting pullovers.

If you take the CD out, scratch the hell out of it, watching 'error loading' screens is more fun and more interactive. This game is boring. It was, as I recall, a PC game.

Approaching the game with the child like mind of a gamer, Robinsons is like a rainy Saturday at Grannys house, all alone, with only Grandads pigeons that must not be disturbed to keep you company.

The interface is more complicated than talking in binary natively to an Intel x86 through a broken drinking straw.

That's how I feel anyway.

It did my head in.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:50 pm

At such a high price, who is making all the profits? The copyright holder? Ever since the oldergames fiasco, I look at things like this with a very skeptical eye.

PS - Major lulz on your mini review there Kid.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Just posted a starter review ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:16 pm

I played it, it's shit. At $50 it wants to be Al Capone's shit too, or some other holy relic because charging the retro community that much for a burnt CD and a manual and 17 year mediocre game, it wants to have something special about it. Marketing 101, you make it cheaper, you sell more.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Although overpriced, $50 is actually reasonable when compared to a lot of the other late Jag releases ... kinda sad. :(

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 pm

I can understand the cartridges being pricey (to a degree) but a CD? C'mon. There is an enormous amount of good will and effort goes into the Jag community, but some people bleed ever last cent/penny out of it.

$30 would be borderline as far as I am concerned. Personally, if it was me selling it, cost price plus 10% for my time. I'd sell for less than $10, if i could.

You can't make a living from this I'm sure, so why charge this much? It's actually the fans they are screwing right? People want to collect this stuff, they want to buy it, but $50? Why? So they can limit distribution, and in a few years control the eBay price? Like Battlesphere? Because that's just a big con too right?

These forums aren't drenched in the super rich, drenched in nostalgic fans BUT if they want to make a bit more money from the game, why don't they cut a deal for the IP and make exclusive T-Shirts, Cups, mouse mats, behind the scenes DVD, baseball cap and a poster. Then you charge cost plus 200%. There is plenty of latent talent out there. I'm sure, for instance, 3DO Experience could knock up a pretty decent poster. (Based on her box art)

So, should Rothchild be a Robinsons Requiem fan, he can pay $20 for a poster to show the world, and Songbird sell more games and still get to go Hawaii or wherever.

...but oh no, $50. It's not just alienating, elitist and a bit irritating. It's dumb.

...I would pay $20 for a Zero 5 poster by the way. Should anyone care.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Now hold up. Is this an unlicensed burn, and if so where are the pitchforks?

Paranoia Dragon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Paranoia Dragon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:57 am

I was under the impression that it's liscensed, & that it's not a burnt cd but the real deal.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:47 am

Okay - so it's even cheaper if it's printed. Burnt was an exuberance of my rant. (add just in case their other income is litigation)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:13 am

Well it does say "Professionally glass-mastered" which should mean it's a pressed disc, not burnt. There is cover artwork so I figure it comes in a box, DVD case at least. AND there is a link to EverSim's website, so I would assume means that the company that developed the game is getting some of the profit.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:05 am

but notice eversim makes no mention on their website, at least not that I could find. and I just want to state, this is not homebrew. So it's not supporting more homebrew games. I would be all for it if it was homebrew. Still wouldn't buy it for $50, nor do i have a Jaguar. etc etc.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:11 am

Somebody want to ask ES? The PSP is a poor device for navigating certain high-end websites and I'd just use a bunch of bad words anyway.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:46 pm

BryWI wrote:but notice eversim makes no mention on their website, at least not that I could find.
Well they don't seem to mention much of anything on their site LOL I would think it would be rather stupid to put a link to EverSim's website next to an item if you are pirating it.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:35 am

The game is licensed from them by Songbird. Carl has been working on getting the license for three years on this one. I won't be buying it though as I have had the game for the 3DO forever and the Jaguar version looks to be the same exact game. Still, for those that don't already have it, cool for them.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks for the details!

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Source?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Vance wrote:Source?
Check Atari Age in the Jaguar section under the heading "Robinson's Requiem". Even though I am not the biggest fan of Carl Forhan or Songbird Productions because I feel he overcharges for his projects, he does do his thing above board. Every game he has released has been properly licensed, including his deal with Midway, back in the day, for Total Carnage. This is also not a Beta version, it is the final version that was submitted to Atari for approval that never got it due to Atari closing up shop and dropping the Jaguar as a platform. Most of the Jaguar games released by Songbird are not homebrews, but final versions of games that never released for the system.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/18 ... jaguar-cd/

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:10 am

Solid. Thanks for the info.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:55 am

T2KFreeker wrote:...I am not the biggest fan of Carl Forhan or Songbird Productions because I feel he overcharges for his projects...
The same could be said for most of the Jag community.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 am

3DO Experience wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:...I am not the biggest fan of Carl Forhan or Songbird Productions because I feel he overcharges for his projects...
The same could be said for most of the Jag community.
This is true. I usually buy games from people I know VS a seller or whatnot. It's all good in the end. Not saying I have never bought a Songbird game, but I wish the damn things were cheaper though. :wink:

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:54 am

i kinda care..whats Zero 5? 8)
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...