Cybermorph

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Cybermorph

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Level 2. What am I supposed to be doing? The de/instructions don't make any sense

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Which planet is giving you trouble?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Second one.

I don't if I like it or not. It plays a bit like 3D defender in some ways.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 am

The goal in every stage in the game is to collect all of the pods.

On some stages, you have to worry about those little guys that come and steal your pods.

On other stages, you have to worry about those triangular pillar-like things that slowly turn the ground to black. If the blackness that they create touches a pod, the pod will die. Basically, make sure you are exploring each stage and finding all the areas where these pillars may potentially be able to destroy a pod. Sometimes you will have to go through a teleporter into an enclosed room where a pod will be nearby one of these pillars. You sometimes need to go for these areas first, otherwise you will fail the mission shortly after starting.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:37 am

It is a good game. Took me 15 or so years to realize it though.

Maybe I'll pop it in this weekend since I'm laid up.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Anth
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Anth » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:41 am

Cybermorph is easily one of the most underrated games in the history of video games. People just don't get it when it comes to this game. I think the big problem is that people thought that it was going to be a space shooting game, when it's primarily a puzzle type game. Basically you just have to find the pods, and it starts off really easy, and then starts to get more and more difficult.

Once you come to grips with the fact that it's not a combat game (although it does have combat if you so wish...), and accept that it's a game about searching for pods, and avoiding ship damage, then you can realize that it's actually quite possibly one of the best cartridge based games released on the Jaguar. I really think this game ranks up there with some of the most underrated games of all time.

I also hear people talk smack about the graphics, and if you've ever seen Cybermorph running on a RGB monitor, you wouldn't be complaining about the graphics at all. The gourad shaded polygons are beautiful in their simplicity.

The only real downside to Cybermorph is the absolutely horrendous draw distance. If you have your craft flying at a high-altitude, at super fast speeds, the draw distance is absolutely laughable. If you fly super low to the ground, and fly very slow, the draw distance is totally acceptable.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:46 pm

For me, the issue is not the polygons (which are sharp) but the piss poor choice of color. Who knows what the powers that be were thinking when they slapped such an ugly coat of paint on what was otherwise an impressive looking game for 1993.

I do agree though that the game excels in what it is. You just need to recognize it for more of its exploration aspects and less its combat. (It took me well over a decade before I came around to this way of thinking)

Anth
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Anth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Trev wrote:For me, the issue is not the polygons (which are sharp) but the piss poor choice of color. Who knows what the powers that be were thinking when they slapped such an ugly coat of paint on what was otherwise an impressive looking game for 1993.
Have you seen it on a RGB display, like a Commodore 1084 monitor? I don't think the colors look that bad when you see it in RGB, because of the clarity that comes along with a RGB signal, but I do understand what you mean. I used to have a Jaguar S-Video cable, and when I would play it on my big living room TV, it would look quite muddy with it's colors. It lacked vibrancy and the colors were a bit muted.

In RGB on a tiny 13 inch display, it's a different story. Almost like two different games. Maybe that's why so many people hate on Cybermorph. They've never seen it in it's best possible form.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:42 pm

I think for the sake of design they should have started off with bright stages. The early stages in the game are pretty bleak, featuring mostly grays, browns, dark blues, maroon, etc. etc. etc.