Soccer Kid

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Soccer Kid

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:40 pm

ImageOk I messed up and split the wrong posts from the topic, so I've touched this up to fix that. This discussion started from this topic for those interested.

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:18 am

I've played the Gameboy Advance version of Soccer Kid and all I have to say is I can't wait to get this for the Jaguar... once I get a few other irons taken care of first (trying to collect the various flash solutions for the various Atari consoles.... almost there!)

But the only reason Soccer Kid is not higher is because so few people have Soccer Kid. You see, Songbird managed to make this possible for the Jaguar, but being such a short run, that game goes for $74.95
http://www.songbird-productions.com/catalog.shtml

I know it's an awesome game, and I know I will have a blast with it once I get it. Just might be a bit longer. Like another month or so.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:23 am

I had Soccer Kid on the CD32 - I didn't think much of it then and would rate the two Zool's higher.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:30 am

Why Zool over Soccer Kid? Explain please.

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:34 am

I'm a big Bubsy man myself, and I have played Zool. But I have to admit, I like how Soccer Kid plays and all the tricks you can do with the soccer ball.

I was checking out E-bay hoping to find a better deal on the game for the Jaguar... no dice.. the only copy there is for $150 (they are on crack).

3DO copies are going for under $5. :P

And then I found the Superfamicon version...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8227435048

Appearently that was a anime at one time? Interesting.

Of course I have played the image on the Gameboy Advance. Been fun. Wish I still had my GameCube so I could play it on the bigger screen.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:37 am

Zool had a lot of faults but it was fast , colourful and had some nice physics (sliding to a hault was cool) - true you could easily lose sight of the protagonist against the background but all in all it looked fresh. Soccer Kid on the other hand (whilst a lot easier to play) smacked of 16bit platformers. At the time I wanted bells and whistles - I really must revisit both to see if my original opinion (it is nearly 15 years old!) still stands.

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:47 am

doctorclu wrote:.. the only copy there is for $150 (they are on crack).

3DO copies are going for under $5. :P
e-bay is insane on video games prices right now, but that's in another thread, I cannot see paying much more for the Jag version than the 3DO one. It would be one thing if it were a console exclusive but it's been ported to so many other systems it's worthless to jump on a Jag version.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:59 am

...except that I get to play the game on my favorite system. And that really is a good game. (Just got through playing it on the GBA.) Someday I will have Soccer Kid for my Jaguar... oh yes, someday I will have it. :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:17 am

but is it $150 good?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:57 am

Imagine all the games you could get for that amount ...

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:03 am

2 decathlons :wink: :lol:

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:19 am

Maybe a bit OT but it was mentioned, The first Bubsy on SNES was a great game.

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:30 pm

I've heard people most of the time say they liked the first Bubsy, and those that have played the Jaguar version of Bubsy liked it too, and the Amiga/mod sounding score that game had. Many don't care too much for Bubsy 2 (I do my best to like it but the game mechanics compared to the Jaguar Bubsy and the first Bubsy game are just odd..)

Bubsy 3D never happened.

As it was, Bubsy on the Jaguar was the third Bubsy game in the series, and unique to any other game system. Bubsy and Bubsy 2 can be found on the SNES and Genesis, and Bubsy 2 also findable on the Gameboy.

As for Soccer Kid, $74.95 from Songbird STILL. That person who is selling a game for $150 is on crack.

Battlesphere Gold originally sold for that price, which I picked it up at that time thank God. It was KINDA worth $150 since Battlesphere is a cool game, this had improvements, packed in secret games, and the ability to load BJL fan made games and was a CD bypass (out of the three available really the third best) that helped you load unencrypted CD's. Battlesphere Gold also came with a CD of games (Native, Slam Racers) and demos (various graphics demos, a MOD player for the Jaguar, etc).

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:56 pm

For some of the publishers Songbird does spring to mind, I can see how it was so expensive to make. For people who happen across a sealed copy in warehouse, it's just silly greed.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: Soccer Kid

Post by a31chris » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:57 am

Can anybody make a side by side comparison of the Jag/3DO games? Like they do with the Saturn/PSX? I would love to see that. I want to get Soccer Kid after Ewhac and Gammadev were playing it. One of them really loved it and so now I want to get it.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:41 pm

a31chris wrote:Can anybody make a side by side comparison of the Jag/3DO games? Like they do with the Saturn/PSX? I would love to see that. I want to get Soccer Kid after Ewhac and Gammadev were playing it. One of them really loved it and so now I want to get it.
That would be interesting. I have played Soccer Kid on the Gameboy Advance and the Jaguar. The difference was the boss at the end of first set. I seemed to die quicker against the Jaguar boss for some reason.

But otherwise they were both about the same.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Ah, Soccer Kid. One of those games I will never own. Not because of price.

Because it is a game called Soccer Kid :lol:

Also, didn't this come out on PS1? Should be the cheapest version to hand I expect?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:29 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Because it is a game called Soccer Kid :lol:
**Sigh** You Europeans. You just can't get over the fact that we use a different name for "football", can you? :)

The PlayStation version was a very belated release, coming out in 2003, so I think that version actually might be even rarer than the Jaguar version. I just checked on Ebay and there are no copies up there, not even under completed listings.